A Day In My Life

Happy Saturday Friends how has your week been?  It is raining like crazy here.  It’s not too cold though.  You know I read a lot of blogs and I don’t often feel like I know the people I am reading about.  So I thought I would share what a day in my life looks like.  Anyway, if you are interested continue reading and if not see you at the next post.

  Look at this fog it’s almost noon and so dark and dreary.  I love it its so cozy.  

I am a very early riser.  I like to be up by 5:00 or 5:30 every morning even on my days off from work, especially on my days off.  On those days I feel like my free day is waiting for me to get started!!! Some days my husband has left for work by the time I get up. He has about an hour commute so he leaves pretty early.

I got into this early bird habit when I first got my Basset Hound Patches back in 2005.  (Patches is who my blog was named after. ) She woke me up every morning at 4:50 AM to go outside and potty. It was dark and cold and I would stumble out of bed half asleep to take her out. By the time I got her back in and gave her a treat and got back upstairs I was pretty much awake.  My husband says I am awake the minute my eyes are open. I am ready to talk and get into the day so I guess I am a morning person.  He is not!!!  He has to have coffee and ease into the morning slowly.

      Baby Patches she was about six weeks old here. 

So after a few times of getting up with patches before 5:00 AM  I just started staying up and realized how much I enjoyed being up early.  I would love to say I get a ton of work done before going into my work job but that is not always the case.  I just love being up, reading, watching some TV, having coffee and doing whatever I want.  I used to work out several mornings a week and that is something I desperately need to get back into doing.

Even after Patches got older and then passed away I was still in this habit of getting up before 5:00 AM.  I don’t even set my alarm clock I just wake up.  This could also have something to do with getting older.  I have heard you don’t need as much sleep and I find that to be true.  Sometimes my niece Michelle calls me at 5:30 AM she says I am the only other person she know who will be up. HA!!!

First thing I do When I get up is let Scruffy outside for a minute, feed Kitty Kitty and let my big girl Molly out of the house.  We keep Molly in the house at night because she is older and we have  coyotes around our property.

I have coffee and a quick breakfast and am at work by 8:30. My drive to work is about 20 minutes.   It takes me about 45 minutes to get ready for work.  It may take a little less time on the days I don’t wash my hair. I try not to wash my hair every day.  Thin hair runs in my family and I want to take care of what I have.  I use a dry shampoo on the days I don’t wash my hair in the shower.  I just started using dry shampoo a couple of years ago and I freaking love it!!!   Currently I am using Batiste dry shampoo it is available at Walmart or Target or any of those stores. I have had great luck with it although I am curious about some of the other brands.  If you have one that you love let me know.   I would like to say I am one of those people who pick their clothes out the night before but I am not.  I only decide what I am going to wear in the morning before I go out.  I may be thinking about it when I am getting ready but I don’t usually decide until I get ready to leave.  A lot of it depends on how I feel and what I have going on that day.  You may be the same way.  If I am feeling in a funk then I want to be comfy and not add any extra wardrobe challenges.  Actually as I have gotten older comfort means a lot to me on a challenging day.

On my way to work I always listen to two songs. Well I listen to other things too, I love to listen to audio books and podcasts, but I always make sure I listen to these two songs they get me motivated: We are the Champions, by Queen and Proud Mary by Tina Turner. Man by the time I get to work I am singing at the top of my lungs.  I try to curb the singing before I walk into the building my co workers may not appreciate it.  I can’t sing a lick.  It doesn’t stop me though. HA!!!

The different seasons make a difference on what my job entails.  Like for instance in the winter my job, being at a tourist attraction, is not very busy with visitors.  However it is a time that I prepare for the upcoming year.  I am busy with ads and promotions and sometimes travel shows getting us ready for the coming year.  If it is summer then I am busy with about 1000 visitors a day and four times the staff members that I have to deal with in the winter.

I love winter for this very reason.  My job has a much slower pace during the winter and usually after the craziness of the summer I am ready for it.  It’s funny though because by spring and summer I am usually ready for some excitement and being crazy busy again.

The first thing I do every morning after getting settled in at work is go over my to-do list. I find that if I don’t keep a running list I am so easily distracted.  I keep this list on my phone so I can always refer to it.  I keep it in my notes on my iPhone   I remove each item as I complete it.  At the end of the day whatever I have left gets carried over to the next day.  So periodically through the day I will look over my list to see where I am on whatever project I need to be working on.  If the list gets too long I refuse to add anything to it until I take some or all of the items off of it.

I usually eat lunch at work except on Wednesday when I go to lunch with my sisters and whomever shows up.  You can read about our Sister Lunch here if you haven’t already.  Sometimes I have woking lunches with people and I leave the for those.  I hate to say it but most days I eat at my desk.  I know this is not a good habit to have but it just works out like that most days.  During the summer we have a restaurant open on the grounds and I often go there just so I won’t be at my desk eating.  I know I need a break for a few minutes.

After work I either go home or go to visit my mother in law in the Assisted Living Village where she lives. Several days a week my husband works until 7:00 PM and he eats a late lunch so we do not eat dinner together.  On those days I usually get home as early as possible to let the fur babies out of the house and feed all of them.  I take Scruffy for a walk every afternoon and Molly always goes with us.  Scruffy is the type of dog, I guess it’s the terrier in him, but he needs a good walk every day.  I grab a quick dinner and settle in.  If I don’t have book club or visit with my mother in law or have something after work to do I just do things around the house.  My mother always taught me that if you do a little everyday even if it is one load of laundry or unload the dishwasher, although she never had a dishwasher in her life, then you will stay caught up on your chores.  This is something I have always tried to do.  It doesn’t always work out but when it does it works great!!!  Some of the things that I look forward to doing after I get home are: baking, knitting, reading, writing,  playing the piano, I just got some Queen piano music from the movie Bohemian Rhapsody and I can’t wait to work on it.  Probably sounds pretty boring but I love it!!!  I will let you in on a little secret.  I am working on a children’t book that I hope to have out soon.  More on that later.

After my husband gets home we catch up on the day and maybe watch a little TV.  Our interest in TV watching is very different.  We are Sci-fi nerds so we do like those shows together but mostly I watch TV in my den I have upstairs.

When you get up at 5:00 AM bedtime comes pretty early. I am usually ready for bed by 9:00 or 10:00 PM.

Some things I have been lacking and need to work harder on is:  My daily devotional reading, exercising, and always just living in the moment.  Well there is always tomorrow.

Always Remember:

Love your day your way


2 thoughts on “A Day In My Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s