Well hello September how did you get here so fast? It seems like only yesterday it was Memorial Day and the summer season was just getting underway. If you work in tourism there are two important dates. Memorial Day is the kick off to summer and Labor Day is sort of the last big hurrah. I am so ready for slower days and fewer crowds.
There is a change in the air. You can feel it. It’s not just that the temps are a little cooler, although it was what I would call chilly this morning, there is actually a shift in the air and the slant of the sun is different. Shadows look different. I love it!!! I love the fall season. The days are getting a little shorter and the sun rises a little later. I love it all!!!!
I think there are several reasons I like fall and winter.
- I am a big girl and I don’t feel comfortable showing so much skin. Especially when my skin never seems to tan and it remains stark white no matter what I do.
- I hate to sweat. If I am working out I fully intend to sweat, I even welcome it but not just from walking into the Walmart or around the yard. I love cold weather because I don’t seem to sweat quite as much.
- I love winter clothes. This sort of goes back to number 1. but I do feel more comfortable covering up. And I love sweaters and boots they are my favorite things to wear.
- I love all the holidays in the winter. Thanksgiving and Christmas and even Halloween. Great times to get together with friends and family.
- I love fall decorations.
- I sleep better when it is cold and I can snuggle under the covers. And it’s more comfortable having your fur babies sleep with you when it’s not 90 degrees.
So there are just a few reasons I love the fall and winter.
On Wednesday afternoon we had to take two of the kitty babies to the vet. They both had some serious eye gunk going on. I was not sure if it was pink eye but I suspected that it might be because two of them had it. We found out that the little orange cat is a male, we named him Milo and the light gray cat is female we named her Izzy. We are still not sure about the other two. Milo and Izzy are doing much better after getting meds. I told our vet that retirement would never be in our future because of vet bills and fur baby medicine and food and kitty litter. Oh well, working keeps you young right?
I took Thursday off. I had to work some over the Labor Day weekend and I knew it would be my only chance to have a day off. I did have a zoom meeting that morning but the rest of the day was so much fun. I met my sister in Madisonville and we went to nearby Tellico Plains to have lunch at Iron Works. It is a restaurant on the river and part of the building at one time was an old Iron Works factory. Check out the site here The weather was beautiful and the food was fabulous. I had the breaded rainbow trout and okra. I had been wanting okra for some time and theirs was amazing.
After we left the restaurant we went to a small used book store in town. I have been on the look for the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I love this little book store and they have such a variety of used books. They are neatly arranged by category and author. I didn’t see any of the Little House books so I asked the lady at the counter. She said they sold out almost as soon as they came in. Just my luck and you know the funny thing is I had all of them when I was a kid. I have no idea what happened to them probably sold at a yard sale or something. We did find one book by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder Lane who was Laura’s daughter. I snapped it up.
I was off today and I finished the blue striped socks I had been working on. And guess what? I had just enough yarn and didn’t have to add another ball. YAY!!!!! But man I was sweating it. I tried knitting faster and of course that didn’t help a stitch is a stitch no matter how fast you knit.
So how is your September going so far? Any fall projects planned?
Love your day your way!!!!!