Well hello August. How did you get here so fast? I feel a little bad because I am not a friend to summer time. It seems like summer is passing us by so quickly. All I have done this summer is work work work and I don’t feel like I have taken time to enjoy it. As I mentioned summer is not my favorite season. You probably guessed that right? As I have gotten older the heat bothers me more I hate to sweat, etc etc, I look forward to fall and cooler temperatures. However, living in East Tennessee, it could be awhile before we feel any cooler temperatures. So I will make the most of the summer time. I came up with some things to love about summer time. So here we go:
- Getting up early to enjoy the early morning air:
I love to get up early and drink coffee on my deck. The air is still warm but not hot and the grass is dewy, it reminds me of being a kid running out first thing in the morning and getting my feet wet and slippery from dew. The air was really soft and the expectation of a new day was intoxicating. I think every day should be that way.
- It stays light outside longer. The sun comes up earlier and the daylight lasts longer. Sometimes I go to bed really early, like at 9:00 PM or so and when I get in bed I can still see the light outside. For some reason this is very comforting to me although it also makes me feel really really old. HA HA. You can also get more done outside in the mornings before work and later in the evening after work.
- It’s a great time to grill food outside and enjoy fruity drinks and cocktails.
I think sitting outside with friends and family and eating food straight from the grill is one of summer’s favorite things. Add in a fruity drink or two and amazing.
- It’s a great time to be on the lake.
My husband and I live on the lake and it is sad just how many times we have been on the water this year. We have very different work schedules and are not often able to have days off together. But I have to tell you some of our most favorite times is on the lake in a boat with the wind blowing and that feeling of total freedom from everything.
- Fruits and vegetables are so yummy:
I think I could live on fruits and vegetables in the summer. I could make a meal on squash and cucumbers and potatoes and green beans and corn. My daddy used to make a garden about an acre wide. We had to help work in it and that part was not so much fun but when it came time to eating all of those vegetables we loved it!!!
- Your skin is dewy
You don’t have that dry leg and elbow thing going on like you do in the winter. Even when you don’t apply body lotion everyday.
- You don’t have to wear as many clothes.
This may or may not be a curse depending on how you look at it. HA HA. I think it feels very freeing in the summer to go out without being weighed down with quite so many clothes.
- You can lay on a blanket in your yard and watch the clouds take on different shapes.
We used to do this when I was a kid. I haven’t done it in awhile I guess since my Patches was alive but I have always loved it. Patches and I would lay on a quilt in the back yard. I would stare at the clouds and try to make shapes out of them. Patches would sit on the blanket and sniff for rabbits.
- Flowers are blooming everywhere!!!
So many flowers and trees are blooming and there is color everywhere!!! The scent from all the flowers and bushes can be intoxicating. I love it!!!!
- To every thing there is a season.
And a time to every purpose under the heaven. Things happen and the day to day pulses in and out. Things change quickly. So I have to remember to enjoy the best of what we are offered at this exact time.
Love your day your way!!!